SportDOG Rechargeable In-Ground Fence System
100 in stock
New Rechargeable Dog Fence System from SportDOG
The SportDOG Rechargeable In-Ground Fence System offers the convenience of a dog fence without the need to buy and replace collar batteries, great if you’re miles from a store. This containment system can cover blocks up to 100 acres with the purchase of additional wire kits. A containment system is designed to stop your dog from running away, but it’s also great for keeping him out of restricted areas like the chookpen and garden. Just plan your perimeter layout, install the transmitter and wire, and complete the brief dog training programme.
Most of our customers are attaching the fence wire to existing fences around the yard, or penning off a couple of acres around the house if they have a bigger block. Cable ties are quick and easy to use for this and easy to remove if you want to make changes to your dog area. If you have a problem area you need to get round give us a call and we can help with design ideas.
This system is NOT compatible with any other SportDOG or PetSafe Fence collars
Extra wire can also be purchased for blocks up to 100 acres. We suggest you call us if you need to add extras to the kit, and we can eliminate some of the excess packaging and give you the best freight price.
- Dogs from 5+ kilos
- Low – high stimulation levels cover timid to stubborn dogs
- Recommended for 6 months and over: your dog must be able to understand and carry out basic commands to use this system
- This system is not recommended for vicious or aggressive animals that may pose a threat to others
- Recommended for healthy animals only, please consult your vet if you have any concerns about your dog’s health (pregnancy, heart condition, medication etc.)
- Quick and easy to install
- Covers up to 100 acres with additional wire & flags (sold separately)
- Adjustable boundary width dial on transmitter
- Waterproof Receiver Collar with 7 programmable correction levels
- Level 1 vibration and tone, level 2-7 static stimulation
- Anti-linger feature: deters your dog from sitting in the warning zone and running down the battery
- Built-in lightning protection
- Wire Break Alert
- Expandable for unlimited dogs with additional SportDOG Rechargeable Fence Collars
- Total Weight: 100g
- Vinyl strap – 55cm
- Li-Ion Rechargeable battery recharges in 2 hours
- Battery lasts 1-2 months depending on use
- Low battery indicator
- Waterproof and submersible up to 7.5m
- Transmitter with power adaptor
- Rechargeable In-Ground Fence Receiver Collar with battery charger
- Long & short collar probes
- Test Light Tool
- 300 metres of wire
- 100 Boundary Flags
- Wire Joiners
- Operating Guide
Benefits of a Dog Containment System
- Quick to install, under 4 hours for an average yard
- Can be used as an invisible barrier to avoid blocking views and light
- Easy temporary fence for holiday homes
- Dog can’t dig under, jump over or chew through
- More affordable than a physical fence
How does it work?
The transmitter box plugs into a standard power outlet, it is NOT waterproof. The boundary wire is laid in a complete loop around your yard, with both ends connected to the transmitter. A radio signal travels along this wire and creates a field which becomes the ‘Correction Zone’. Your dog wears a receiver collar that detects the radio signal as he approachs the outer edge of this zone. He will hear a warning tone and then receive a static pulse if he does not retreat into his pet area as trained. This mild static pulse is harmless; you have probably felt a similar sensation from touching a car door or brushing against someone. It works very much like the Tens Machine that a Physiotherapist uses to stimulate your muscles (this is why a dog with strong neck muscles often requires a collar with a choice of stronger correction levels). The radio signal from the SportDOG In-Ground Fence can only react with the Receiver Collar; no need to worry about the kids playing in the yard.
Is it easy to install?
Yes, once you have planned your layout, an average yard takes less than 4 hours to install. It is even quicker if you have 2 people working together, one unrolling the wire and one attaching it to the fence.
Your transmitter is must be sited near an electrical outlet, usually in a laundry or garage. It is not waterproof.
Next lay out the boundary wire making a circuit of your yard. When you get back to the start, twist the two wires together from the boundary to the transmitter to cancel the signal along that double stretch of wire and allow your dog to cross safely.
For an invisible fence, use a spade or lawn edger to make a trench to bury the wire 1-3 inches deep. You can also attach the wire to existing structures, lay it on the ground in thick scrub, or use a combination of methods. Driveways are crossed by cutting a shallow groove across the surface, then laying the wire in the groove and caulking over it. Or, you can lay the wire in the expansion joint and caulk over it. Wire can cross beneath gravel by laying it through electrical conduit.
If you have an existing fence and need to stop the dog digging out, attach the wire lower down the fence so the signal reaches beneath the ground. If your dog scrambles up the fence to escape, place the wire nearer the top. If he takes a running leap over the fence, bring the wire back to his take-off point and bury it underground.
How do I train my dog?
The boundary line is temporarily marked with flags to remind your dog of where the boundary is for training purposes. These are gradually removed over a few weeks towards the end of your training sessions.
The dog training programme is essential for the success of the SportDOG In-Ground Fence. The training programme consists of 3 x 10 minute sessions times a day for up to two weeks. You follow the steps to introduce your dog to the boundary and teach him to “turn and retreat” when he hears the warning tone. As your dog learns the system, you test him with the things that would usually tempt him away, until eventually he can be safely left alone. You must contain your dog by another method (chain or pen) until training is complete. If you are training several pets, work with one at a time to avoid distractions. You should reinforce training on a regular basis with brief refresher sessions.
Sample Boundary Layout
The basic loop layout allows your dog access to your entire property.
Run the wire out to the boundary and around the property. Twist the wire around the one that went out on the way back into the transmitter so the dog can safely cross.
|Area of Block in Acres||Total Amount of Wire (1 roll included in kit)|
|1/4 acre||127 metres - 1 roll|
|1/3 acre||147 metres - 1 roll|
|1/2 acre||180 metres - 2 rolls|
|1 acre||255 metres - 2 rolls|
|2 acres||360 metres - 3 rolls|
|3 acres||441 metres - 3 rolls|
|4 acres||509 metres - 4 rolls|
|5 acres||570 metres - 4 rolls|
|6 acres||623 metres - 5 rolls|
|7 acres||673 metres - 5 rolls|
|8 acres||720 metres - 5 rolls|
|9 acres||763 metres - 6 rolls|
|10 acres||853 metres - 6 rolls|